CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — Chesterfield Fire Department has named the victim that died of his injuries, Edward W. Wade III, 76 of Chesterfield, after a house fire on the 2800 block of Brixham Drive in Chesterfield County.
Fire crews were called to the home just before 1 a.m. Friday. They found heavy fire and smoke coming from the roof.
Once inside the home, they found Mr. Wade unconscious; he was taken to the Chippenham Medical Center with life threatening injuries. Shortly after arriving at the hospital, he was pronounced dead.
It took crews over an hour to get the fire under control. One firefighter was transported to hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
“Much of the roof has already collapsed in. The fire came through all areas of the roof. At some point our crews had to go to a defensive operation,” said Chesterfield Fire Lt. Jason Elmore.
A firefighter was also injured at the scene but is expected to fully recover.
The Chesterfield County Fire Marshals have determined the house fire started in the kitchen as a result of unattended cooking.
According to Chesterfield Fire, unattended cooking continues to be the number one cause of fires in Chesterfield County.