Kickers shell-shocked 3-0 in Louisville

The following comes directly from the Richmond Kickers:

LOUISILLVE, KY – The Richmond Kickers dropped a 3-0 loss to Louisville City FC on the road Saturday night. Matt Fondy’s opening goal went unanswered as Louisville struck twice in the second half when Tarek Morad and Magnus Rasmussen solidified the decisive victory.


Louisville claimed the early advantage when Fondy collected the ball in the midfield and played it wide to Bryan Burke.  Sailing down the right wing, Burke floated a cross to the near post, connecting with Fondy who raced into the six yard box unmarked, beating Kickers goalkeeper Ryan Taylor and redirecting the ball into the far corner inside the first 20 minutes.


Taylor was not to be eluded again and stifled Kadeem Dacres’ shot 10 minutes later before making a big save in the 41st minute.  Rasmussen latched onto a long ball at the left edge of the box and rifled a curling left footed shot to the near post but Taylor’s reflexive save parried it over the crossbar to keep the Kickers within striking distance heading into the break.


Louisville struck again six minutes after the restart when Dacres battled to get a shot in a crowded six yard box before earning a corner kick.  Enrique Montano delivered the inswinger to the near post where Morad swept across the goalmouth to nod home the second goal of the night.


As the game approached the hour mark, the home side increased their lead when a turnover in the midfield allowed a combination between Rasmussen, Charlie Adams and Matt Fondy to free Rasmussen at the top of the box.  The midfielder made no mistake from 18 yards out, burying a right-footed blast just inside the right post.


The Kickers nearly pulled a goal back in the 69th minute when defender Jalen Robinson launched the ball from the midfield to the top of the box.  Matthew Delicate’s flick on header fell to Jason Yeisley who settled it with his back to goal, turned and fired a bending ball that glanced just wide of the upright.


The resulting goal kick was intercepted by George Davis IV at the midline who slotted it back through traffic to Yeisley at the top of the box.  Heavily marked, he split two defenders before taking on Louisville goalkeeper Scott Goodwin 1v1 but the keeper threw himself in the line of fire to tip the point blank shot over the crossbar to hold the Kickers scoreless.


The Richmond Kickers conclude their three-game road stand in Saint Louis on Saturday, July 11 before returning to City Stadium to host the English Premier League’s West Bromwich Albion on Sunday, July 19.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s