“All clear” given at Washington Navy Yard after reports of shots fired

A photo posted to Twitter by Alex Prewitt on July 2, 2015 with the caption, "Scene in Navy Yard." (Photo: @alex_prewitt/Twitter)

WASHINGTON, D.C. (WRIC/AP) — The “all clear” message was given at the Washington Navy Yard Thursday morning after no active threat was found. Officials say there were no shots fired at the yard.

A federal official told the Associated Press say there is no evidence of a shooting, there have been no arrests and no weapons have been recovered at the Washington Navy Yard after a report of shots fired locked down the campus Thursday.

The source also told the AP that Navy security has seen surveillance video that showed two men jumping a fence in the vicinity of a building where gunfire was reported Thursday morning. The official told the AP there were no reports of injuries nor has a shooter been identified.

SEE PHOTOS: Shots reported at Washington Navy Yard

Civilian and military law enforcement agencies responded along with the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Around 9 a.m., authorities swept the Navy Yard building, which had already been largely emptied.

A defense official told ABC News that the situation was based on a report of a “suspicious person.” The report was taken seriously given the shooting that happened there two years ago.

In September 2013, military contractor Aaron Alexis killed 12 civilian workers at the Navy Yard’s Building 197 before he was fatally shot by police.

A Navy Yard worker said he didn’t notice anything unusual Thursday morning — everything was normal.

Facilities specialist Chris Robertson has worked at the Washington Navy Yard for about 10 years, according to the Associated Press. He said that about 7:30 a.m. Thursday, the alarm inside his building started going off, people were told over the loud speaker to shelter in place. However, when his supervisor called at 7:33 a.m., Robertson says he and two co-workers were advised to leave.

Robertson said the first thing he thought when he heard alarms and speakers was: “Here we go again.”

8News reporter Jonathan Costen is in D.C. working to learn more about this developing story. Watch his full report tonight on 8News at 5, 5:30 and 6.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s