New statement released by Petco in dog death incident

POWHATAN, Va. (WRIC) – A Powhatan woman says she’s heartbroken and shocked after she says her dog died while being groomed at an area Petco on Saturday.

The incident happened at the Westchester Commons location.

Allison Marks came to pick up her 2-year-old golden retriever from his appointment and found him dead. She said a veterinarian told her Colby Jack died from a heat stroke. Marks believes the groomer washed her dog, then left him inside a heated cage dryer for an extended period.

“It’s like losing a child,” said Marks. “I don’t want anyone else to go through what I’m going through.”

Petco released the following statement:

All of us at Petco remain deeply upset by Colby’s passing. We have strict protocols in place to ensure the well-being of pets in our grooming salons, and we take it very seriously when those protocols are not followed. The groomers involved have been suspended while we complete a thorough investigation, and we are in contact with the pet parents and coordinating with local Animal Services to understand what happened in this terrible situation. It’s important to know we do not use heated dryers in any Petco grooming salons, and we can confirm there was no heat used in the drying process during Colby’s groom, but other details are still being investigated. Our thoughts continue to be with Colby’s family at this difficult time.

Petco said the groomer who was in charge at the time of the incident has been suspended.

Chesterfield County Animal Control is investigating.

Stay with 8News for more information on this developing story.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s