Firefighters warn of candle danger after Henrico house fire Sunday

(Photo: Henrico Fire)

HENRICO COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — A knocked over candle is believed to be to blame for a house fire Sunday morning in Henrico.

Firefighters responded to the home on A.P. Hill Avenue Sunday to find flames coming from the second floor bedroom.

Three people inside the home were able to escape unharmed, though they will be displaced for a short time.

The Fire Marshal determined that a lit candle in the bedroom got knocked over, sparking the fire.

Fire crews want to take this opportunity to remind you of some safety tips to live by:

  • Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed. Avoid the use of candles in the bed-room and other areas where people may fall asleep.
  • Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn.
  • Think about using flameless candles in your home. They look and smell like real candles.

If you do burn candles, make sure that you…

  • Use candle holders that are sturdy, and won’t tip over easily.
  • Put candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface.
  • Light candles carefully. Keep your hair and any loose clothing away from the flame.
  • Don’t burn a candle all the way down — put it out before it gets too close to the holder or container.
  • Never use a candle if oxygen is used in the home.
  • Have flashlights and battery-powered lighting ready to use during a power outage. Never use candles.

Stay with 8News for the latest.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s