The Buena Vista’s Fabulous Irish Coffee
Irish Coffee is thought to have been concocted at the bar of the Shannon, Ireland airport. It made its way to America and became famous as a signature drink at the Buena Vista restaurant located near Fisherman’s Warf in San Francisco.
- 6 glasses (goblets, cups, or mugs)
- Hot water as needed
- 6 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 4 to 6 cups hot strong coffee, divided
- 6 (1½-ounce) jiggers Irish whiskey, divided
- Softly whipped cream for garnish, divided
- Green granulated sugar as desired for garnish (optional)
Warm glasses. Hold bowl of metal spoon near bottom of serving glass; pour hot water into spoon and then into glass. Empty glass and repeat. Add 1 teaspoon sugar to each glass. Fill glasses one-fourth full with coffee. Stir until sugar dissolves. Add a jigger of whiskey to each glass and fill glass to within 1 inch of top with coffee. Top each with softly whipped cream. Do not stir. If desired, sprinkle green granulated sugar over whipped cream of each serving. Serve at once.
Variation: Omit Irish whiskey and use Bailey’s Irish Cream or Irish Mist liqueurs.