CRISP MIXED GREENS WITH BALSAMIC DRESSING
4 to 6 servings
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon minced peeled garlic (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce or to taste (optional)
- Pinch of hot dry mustard or to taste
Pinch of sugar or to taste
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup corn or canola or safflower oil, or a combination
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 to 6 cups crisp mixed greens ( curly endive baby spinach, riddicco, butter lettuce
- or Boston lettuce, arugula, etc.) cleaned, dried, and torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 to 5 green onions, cut on-the-bias into 1 to 1½-inch pieces (include some green tops)
- Crisp croutons as desired for garnish (optional)
In a small bowl, combine balsamic vinegar, garlic and Worcestershire sauce, if desired, mustard , and sugar, blending well. With a wire whisk, gradually whisk in oils, whisking until mixture is well blended. Season with salt an pepper to taste. Adjust other seasonings as desired. Set aside.
In a large salad bowl, combine greens and onions. Just before serving, drizzle as much dressing as desired over salad mixture, tossing lightly. Use dressing sparingly so as not to make salad soggy. Garnish with croutons and serve immediately.
Note: Dressing will keep stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for several days.
Variation: Add 2 firm ripe tomatoes that have been cored and cut into thin wedges or about 12 grape (very small) tomatoes to salad mixture. Sprinkle ½ to ¾ cup crumbled feta cheese with sun-dried tomato bits and minced basil or crumbled blue or Roquefort cheese over salad just before serving. Add thinly sliced mushrooms to salad mixture.
Add thin slices or bite-size pieces of peeled avocado, which has been sprinkled with lemon juice, to salad.