JAN’S HOT WINGS OR DRUMMETTES
about 3 dozen chicken pieces
- 2 to 3 pounds chicken wings or chicken drummettes
- 1 (16-ounce) jar (about 1 3/4 cups) commercial mild or medium or hot-spiced picante sauce
- or salsa of choice
- 1/3 to 1 (2-ounce) bottle Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce or to taste
- ½ (2-ounce) package (1 envelope) onion soup mix
- 3 to 4 tablespoons light brown sugar or to taste (see note)
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 to 3 teaspoons garlic powder (optional)
- Cayenne or red pepper to taste (optional)
- Marvelous Blue Cheese Dressing or favorite commercial blue cheese dressing as desired,
- warmed or at room temperature
- Celery sticks as desired
With a sharp knife or kitchen shears, cut off and discard wing tips. Cut wings in half at the joint. May remove skin from chicken, if desired. Place chicken wing pieces or drummettes in a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish or pan; set aside.
In a small, heavy saucepan, combine picante sauce or salsa, Tabasco sauce or other hot pepper sauce, onion soup mix, brown sugar, butter, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Stir over moderate heat until mixture comes to a simmer. Evenly pour mixture over chicken pieces. Bake, uncovered, in a preheated, moderate oven (375 degrees F.) for 45 minutes or until chicken wing pieces or drummettes are fork tender, turning and basting frequently with sauce. Drain off any excess fat which collects in dish. Serve hot wings, coated liberally with sauce, with Blue Cheese Dressing for dipping and celery sticks.
Note: May omit brown sugar and use 2 to 3 tablespoons honey, if desired.
Note: May whiz sauce mixture in a blender until smooth in consistency, if desired
Varaition: Add 2 to 3 teaspoons chili powder to sauce, if desired.
Marvelous Blue Cheese Dressing
about 1½ cups
- ¾ cup crumbled blue or Stilton or Roquefort or Gorgonzola cheese,
- at room temperature and divided
- ½ cup mayonnaise or reduced-fat or no-fat mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream or reduced-fat or no-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled onion (optional)
- 1½ teaspoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon garlic juice
- Several drops hot pepper sauce or few grains cayenne pepper or to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black or white pepper to taste
In a small bowl, combine ½ cup crumbled cheese of choice, mayonnaise, sour cream, onion, if desired, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic juice, beating well with an electric mixer until smooth. Season with hot pepper sauce or cayenne pepper and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in remaining 1/4 cup crumbled cheese of choice. Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour to blend flavors. May store, sealed, in an airtight glass jar in the refrigerator for up to two weeks, if desired.