JAN’S FAVORITE OATMEAL COOKIES
about 2 to 2½ dozen (3 to 4-inch diameter) or 3 to 3½ dozen (2-inch diameter) cookies
These will be good for a Super Bowl Party… and kids of all ages will love them.
- ¾ cup flour
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup margarine or shortening, at room temperature (see note)
- ¼ cup butter, at room temperature (see note)
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- or the equivalent of ¾ cup brown sugar in granulated brown sugar replacement, firmly packed
- 1 egg, at room temperature (see note)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups quick-cooking or old-fashioned-style rolled oats (may use Irish rolled oats, if desired)
- ¾ cup coarsely chopped dried sweet (Bing) or tart cherries or dark or golden seedless raisins
- or a combination (optional) (see note)
- ¾ cup chopped English walnuts or pecans (optional) (see note)
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate or white chocolate pieces/chips (optional) (see note)
Sift together the first 5 ingredients; set aside. In a medium bowl, cream margarine or shortening and butter, thoroughly. Add brown sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, beating well. Stir in dry ingredients, rolled oats, cherries, nuts, and chocolate pieces/chips, mixing well. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls, 2½ inches apart, onto baking sheets lightly coated with non-caloric vegetable cooking spray. Bake in a preheated moderate oven (375 degrees F.) for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Do not overbake. Cool cookies about 1 to 2 minutes on baking sheets. Transfer cookies to wire racks to finish cooling. Cookies will be soft upon removal from oven and will firm up upon cooling. Store in an airtight container.
Note: May omit butter if desired; use ½ cup margarine or shortening. For reduced-fat cookies, use only ¼ cup butter or margarine or shortening; add ¼ cup Smucker’s Shortening & Oil Baking Replacement.
Note: Omit egg; use 2 egg whites or the equivalent of 1 egg in egg substitute, IE, Egg Beaters.
Note: Use all of the suggested add-ins or just one as you wish. If only using one add-in, increase amount to 1 to 1½ cups.
Bar Cookies: Double the amount of ingredients, mixing as previously directed. Evenly spread dough in an ungreased 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan. Bake in a preheated moderate oven (350 degrees F.) for 30 to 35 minutes or until done. Cool and then cut into bars or squares