Holiday Fresh Fruit Medley
6 to 8 servings
Similar to Ambrosia, a Southern favorite, this recipe is an excellent dish to serve for a holiday brunch.
- 1 large red-flesh grapefruit, peeled, white membrane and seeds removed
- 1 large seedless orange, peeled and white membrane removed
- 1 to 2 tangerines or 3 clementines, peeled and white membrane removed
- 1 firm ripe mango, peeled, seed removed, and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 to 2 firm ripe pomegranate(s), peeled removed and discarded (use seeds only)
- ¾ cup peeled fresh pineapple chunks, or defrosted frozen pineapple chunks,
- or drained canned pineapple chunks
- ½ to ¾ cup halved seedless green grapes, stems removed
- 1/3 cup orange or tangerine juice or pineapple unsweetened juice, or a combination
- About 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar or to taste, sifted
- Cream sherry or orange liqueur or light or dark rum
- or orange or unsweetened pineapple juice as desired (optional)
- Pecan or English walnut halves for garnish as desired
- Mint sprigs for garnish (optional)
Several hours before serving, cut grapefruit, orange, and tangerines or clementines in segments, chunks, or slices. Spread one-fourth of the citrus fruit pieces, mango pieces, and pomegranate seeds over the bottom of a large glass or china-serving bowl. Sprinkle one-third of the pineapple pieces and grapes over the fruit in bowl . Repeat process, finishing with one-fourth of the citrus fruit pieces.
Combine orange and/or tangerine juice(s) and/or pineapple juice and sugar, stirring until sugar dissolves; pour over fruit. Add a small amount of sherry or liqueur or rum as desired. Cover and chill in the refrigerator until serving time. Garnish with pecan or English walnut halves and and sprigs of mint, if desired.
Variations: Add 1 to 2 thinly sliced peeled bananas to the fruit mixture just before serving.
Add 1 cup flaked coconut to fruit mixture just before serving.