CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) – Firefighters battled an intense Chesterfield house fire Thursday morning.
Crews got a call at 8:09 a.m. for a fire in the 9000 block of Winterpock Road. Firefighters arrived five minutes later and went into “rescue mode.”
Three men were asleep inside the house at the time of fire. Two of the guys got out on their own.
Once firefighters got inside, they found a man who was still inside, laying near the back door. He was taken to VCU Medical Center. Officials say this point injuries do not appear to be life threatening.
One dog got out safely, but another dog was lost.
The home appears to be total loss. Investigators believe the flames were sparked in the basement, but spread quickly. It took about 40 minutes to get under control.
Crews are detouring traffic in both directions on Winterpock Road and is expected to be closed until about lunchtime.
Stay with 8News for updates.