This recipes starts with a cake mix, but is enhanced with the addition of pineapple and nuts.
- 1 (1 pound 5.41-ounce) carrot cake mix
- 1 (8-ounce) can well-drained crushed pineapple-in-its-own-juice, drained and juice reserved (see note)
- Hot water as needed
- 3 jumbo eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup cooking oil (corn, canola, or safflower oil)
- ¾ cup chopped pecans or English walnuts
- Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting
- Additional chopped pecans or English walnuts as desired for garnish
Place the carrot/raisin packet in a deep small bowl. Add enough hot water to the reserved pineapple juice to measure 1¼ cups liquid. Pour pineapple juice/hot water mixture over the carrot/raisin mixture, mixing well; allow mixture to stand for 5 minutes.
In a large bowl, combine cake batter mix, eggs, and oil, beating by hand, about 50 strokes, until well blended. Stir in carrot/raisin/pineapple juice/hot water mixture, mixing well. Stir in drained pineapple and nuts, mixing well. Evenly divide batter into two 9-inch round layer cake pans lightly coated with non-caloric vegetable cooking spray.
Bake in a preheated moderate oven (350 degrees F.) for 26 to 30 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center of each comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 15 minutes. Remove from pans and finish cooling on wire racks. Fill and frost cake layers with Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting.
Note: When draining pineapple, press as much liquid out of the pineapple as possible with the back of a wooden spoon.
enough frosting to frost a 9-inch round layer cake
- 2 (3-ounce) packages cream cheese or reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature (do not use no-fat cream cheese)
- About 4 teaspoons cream or half-and-half or milk or reduced-fat or skim milk, or as needed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 (16-ounce) package confectioners’ sugar, sifted (about 4½ cups)
In a medium bowl, combine the first 4 ingredients, beating until smooth. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until mixture is smooth and fluffy. Add additional cream as needed to achieve to desired spreading consistency.