- About ¾ cup sugar or the equivalent of ¾ cup sugar in granulated sugar substitute,
- or to taste
- ¼ cup sifted flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- 4 ripe medium peaches or mangos, peeled, seeds removed, and sliced,
- or 2 cups (thawed) frozen sliced peaches or mangos
- 2 cups fresh or (thawed) frozen blueberries or blackberries or red raspberries,
- stems removed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¾ cup sifted flour
- ½ cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking or regular rolled oats
- ¼ to 1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
- Sweetened flavored whipped cream, or sweetened flavored whipped sour cream or
- reduced-fat or no-fat sour cream, or (thawed) frozen non-dairy whipped topping or
- (thawed) frozen reduced-fat or no-fat non-dairy whipped topping for garnish (optional)
In a small bowl, sift together ¾ cup sugar, ¼ cup flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt, if desired; set aside. Evenly spread fruit over the bottom of a lightly greased 8 x 8 x 2-inch glass baking dish. Sprinkle lemon juice and sugar/flour mixture over fruit, mixing lightly with fruit; set aside.
Prepare topping. In a small bowl, combine ¾ cup flour, brown sugar, and rolled oats, mixing well. Add butter, tossing mixture lightly until topping resembles coarse meal. Evenly spread topping over fruit. Bake, uncovered, in a preheated moderate oven (350 degrees F.) for 35 minutes (see note). Serve warm or at room temperature, plain or garnished with topping of choice.
Note: If using a metal baking pan, increase oven temperature to 375 degrees F.