- ½ cup commercial Italian Dressing or Zesty Italian Dressing or reduced-fat Italian Dressing
- ½ teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- ¾ teaspoon finely snipped fresh oregano leaves (no stems)
- or ¼ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or to taste
- 4 to 6 boneless cube steaks, or 2 pounds boneless beef strip steak or sirloin steak,
- cut at least ¾ to 1¼ -inch(es) thick
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, peeled and each cut in half (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Minced parsley (no stems) for garnish
In a deep medium bowl or large zip-lock plastic bag, combine the first 4 ingredients, blending well. Add steaks or steak to marinade, coating well with marinade; cover or seal bag tightly. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, turning meat in marinade occasionally.
Drain meat from marinade and rub garlic cloves over steak(s), all sides, if desired. Arrange steaks or steak on grill rack in a charcoal grill firebox, about 6 to 8 inches above slow to medium charcoal coals (ash gray and glowing), or at medium level of a gas grill set at medium setting. Grill to desired doneness, about 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium rare doneness (8 to 10 minutes total cooking time), or 7 minutes per side for medium doneness. (Broiling or grilling time will also depend upon the thickness of the meat. Do not overcook steak). Sprinkle steak with salt and pepper after grilling meat to ensure juices being kept in meat.
Or, arrange steak on a rack in a broiler pan, about 6 to 8 inches from heat source; broil as previously directed for grilling. Or, pan-grill steaks or steak in a large heavy skillet lightly coated with non-caloric vegetable cooking spray over moderate heat to desired doneness, about 4 to 5 minutes per side, depending upon thickness of steak.
Use a meat thermometer inserted into the center of the steak or steaks to ensure correct doneness.
With a sharp serrated knife, cut large steak into serving pieces. Arrange steak on each dinner plate and garnish with a sprinkle of minced parsley.