one 13 x 9 x 1½ inch or 10-inch diameter tube gingerbread
- 2¾cups sifted flour, divided
- 2½teaspoons ground ginger
- baking soda
- ½teaspoon salt
- ½teaspoon cinnamon
- ½teaspoon nutmeg
- ½teaspoon ground clove
- p light molasses or honey
- ½cup light brown sugar or the equivalent of ½ cup brown sugain granulateded brown sugar substitute, firmly packed
- up cooking oil or butter or margarine, (see note)
- ¾cup buttermilk or reduced-fat buttermilk or sour milk or reduced-fat sour milk(see note)
- ¼cup orange juice or brandy or rum (optional) (see not
- gs, at room temperature and beaten (see no
- mon or Rum Sauce for garnish (option
ther the first 7 ingredients. Combine molasses, sugar, and oil or butter in a saucepan and bring a simmermer over moderate heat, stirring several times. Cool to lukewarm. Stir cooled molasses mixture abuttermilk intonto dry ingredients. Add oranjuice oreor brandy or rum and eggs, stirring until smooth. Spoon batter into a well-greas
13x 9 x 2-inch baking pan or 10-inch diameter tube pan. Bake in a preheated moderate ov350 degreesrFAes F.) for 30 to 35 minutes (about 45 minutes for tube pan) or untesterster inserted in the center of the gingerbread comes out clean. For tube pan, allow gingerbread to cin pannpan for about 10 minutes before turning out onto a metal rack. Serve warm or at room temperature, plain or garnished with Hot Lemon or Rum Sauce.
Note: May reduce oil or butter to½ cup, if desired. May also use ½ to 2/3cup Smucker’s
Shortening & Oil Baking Replacement in place of oil or butter,if desired.
Note: If not using orange juice or brandy or rum, increase buttermilk to 1 cup.
Note: May omit eggs; use the equivalent of 2 eggs in egg substitute, IE Egg Beaters.
Hot Lemon or Rum or Brandy Sauce
- ½cup sugar or the equivalent of ½ cup sugar in granulated sugar substitute
- 2tablespoons cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- 1cup water
- 3tablespoons lemon juice
- 1½tablespoons butter or margarine, at room temperature
- 1½teaspoons freshly grated lemon peel
In a small heavy saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, andsalt; stir in water. Cook over low heat,stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened, bubbly hot, and clear. Stir in lemon juice, butter, and lemonpeel. Serve warm.
Variation:Hot Rum or Brandy Sauce: Reduce lemon juice to 1 tablespoon, omit peel, and stir in 3tablespoons dark rum or brandy with the butter.