- 3 pounds assorted chicken pieces (thighs, drumsticks, split chicken breasts, and wings) or 1 to 1½ pounds boneless chicken breast pieces or thighs or chicken tenders, skin removed, if desired
- Flour as needed
- 2 to 3 tablespoons butter or margarine or cooking oil (corn, canola, safflower, or extra virgin olive oil)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped peeled shallots
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley (no stems)
- 1½ teaspoons finely snipped fresh basil leaves or ½ teaspoon dried basil leaves
- ¾ teaspoon finely snipped fresh thyme leaves or ¼ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms (any variety or a combination)
- Sprigs of fresh basil and thyme for garnishes
On a sheet of wax paper or in a large plastic bag, dredge chicken pieces in flour, coating each piece well.In a large skillet, melt butter or margarine or heat oil over moderate heat. Add chicken pieces and brown thoroughly on all sides. Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle shallots, parsley, basil, and thyme over the chicken pieces. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Add mushrooms and continue simmering, uncovered for about 10 minutes or until chicken is fork tender and mushrooms crisp tender. Mushrooms should not be overcooked.
To serve, arrange a chicken piece or pieces on each plate and spoon mushrooms, herbs, and pan liquid over each portion, dividing evenly. Garnish each serving with a sprig of fresh basil and thyme.