Fire Officials Remind People to Check Smoke Detectors

(Image 1)

HENRICO (WRIC) –  Fire officials are issuing an important reminder after fires breaks out and destroy two homes.

Thursday morning around 9:30 a.m., crews were called to Claude Burrows’ home on Vassar Road.

Burrows says he has lived in the home 44 years and just received a smoke detector from his neighbor for Christmas. He installed it about a month ago and Thursday morning it woke him up.

“I didn’t know what it was at first,” he says.  “Then I went out and saw smoke in the kitchen and flames were shooting out over the stove and all the way up to the ceiling.”

Burrows made it out but his dog perished in the blaze. Firefighters believe a faulty stove caused the fire.

A few hours later, around 4:30 p.m., crews were called to Foxfire Court for a report of a townhouse fire that started on the back porch.

The woman inside was able to get out but officials say both fires, and daylight savings this weekend, serve as a reminder to check your smoke detectors.

“It’s a great time to go ahead and change all the batteries in your smoke detectors and do it twice a year,” says Henrico Fire Captain Daniel Rosenbaum.

Firefighters and Burrows credit his neighbor for saving his life and Burrows says everyone can learn from him.

“If you have a smoke detector, make sure it’s working because if I didn’t have one, I doubt I’d be here right now,” said Burrows.

 
Copyright 2014 by Young Broadcasting of Richmond

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s