CREAMY CHERRY NUT PIE
one 9-inch diameter pie
- 1 cup sugar or the equivalent of 1 cup sugar in
granulated sugar substitute
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1¼ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 eggs or the equivalent of 3 eggs in egg substitute, IE,
Egg Beaters, slightly beaten
- 1½ cups heavy cream (see note)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dried sweet or tart cherries (coarsely chopped if
- ½ cup chopped English walnuts or pecans
- Unbaked pie shell (9-inch diameter)
- Sweetened flavored whipped cream or sour cream or whipped
topping of choice, or vanilla ice
cream as desired (optional)
In a large bowl, combine the first 4 ingredients. In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, cream,
and vanilla; add to sugar mixture, mixing well.
Fold in cherries and nuts.
Spoon mixture into an unbaked (9-inch diameter) pie
shell. Bake in a preheated hot oven
(400 degrees F.) for 15 minutes; reduce
temperature to slow (325 degrees F.) and continue baking for 30 to 35 minutes
or until a tester inserted into the middle of the pie comes out clean. Cool pie thoroughly on a baking rack.
To serve, cut pie into wedges. May serve plain or may garnish each
serving with sweetened flavored whipped cream or sour cream or whipped topping
of choice and a sprinkle of chopped nuts, or vanilla ice cream, if desired.
Note: May omit heavy cream and use half-and-half or milk
or reduced-fat milk: however, the flavor will
not be the same.
Variations: Omit sugar or granulated sugar
substitute; use 1 cup light brown sugar or granulated
brown sugar substitute.
Reduce cherries to ½ cup and add ½ cup golden seedless raisins.
Omit cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla and add a few drops almond extract to