3 to 4 cups
- 1 (12-ounce) package fresh cranberries
- 1½ cups sugar or the equivalent of 1½ cups sugar in
granulated sugar substitute
- ¾ cup unsweetened orange juice
- ¾ cup brandy
- 5 to 6 whole cloves
- 2 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks, broken
- 1 to 2 large tart apples (Granny Smith or other tart
varieties), peeled, cored, and cut into
Pick over cranberries, removing any stems or blemished
berries. Rinse thoroughly and dry on
Combine cranberries, sugar, orange juice, brandy, cloves,
and cinnamon sticks in a medium heavy saucepan.
Bring to a simmer over moderate heat; continue to simmer (do not boil)
until all cranberries have burst their skins.
Add apple pieces and continue simmering for 4 to 5 minutes. Do
not allow apple pieces to become mushy.
Spoon mixture into a medium glass bowl or quart jar. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve
for up to two weeks. Remove cinnamon
sticks and cloves just before serving.