TAIL-GATE HOAGIE SANDWICH
6 to 8 servings
- 2 medium firm ripe tomatoes, core removed,
chopped, and drained
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 to 6 ounces prosciutto or fully-cooked smoked ham,
diced or cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 to 6 ounces salami of choice, diced or cut into
- 4 to 6 ounces capicola, diced or cut into bite-size
- 4 ounces shredded or grated provolone or smoked provolone
- 4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 to 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce or mixed greens of
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise or reduced-fat mayonnaise
- Extra virgin olive oil as desired
- Italian seasoning to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 baguette Italian or French bread, cut in half
- Pitted gourmet Italian olives as desired for garnish
In a medium bowl, combine
all the ingredients, except the bread and olives, mixing gently, but well.
Adjust seasoning to taste.
After cutting baguette in half lengthwise, scoop out some of
the soft bread from each half to accommodate the filling. Evenly spread filling
over the surface of the cut-side of the bottom half of the baguette. Cover the
filling with the top half of the baguette.
Just before serving, cut sandwich into 6 to 8
portions. Garnish each serving
with pitted gourmet Italian olives.
Variations: Omit tomatoes; use 1 chopped sweet red
pepper in place of tomato.
Do not serve as a
sandwich. Omit Italian or French
bread. Serve Hoagie mixture as a spread with crackers or very
thin slices or toasted slices of French baguette.