CHEESE-TOPPED BREAD SLICES
6 to 8 servings
- 1 loaf/baguette Italian or French bread, about 18 inches
long and cut on-the-diagonal into ½ to ¾ -inch thick slices
- About 2/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
- ½ cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese or reduced-fat
Parmesan or Romano cheese, or ¼ cup of each
- ¼ cup finely shredded or grated sharp Cheddar or
American or Monterey
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder or to taste
- Pinch of dry mustard (optional)
- Paprika as desired for garnish
Arrange bread slices, one layer, on an ungreased baking
sheet; broil, about 6 to 8 inches from heat source, until lightly toasted,
about 2 minutes. Remove from oven; turn
each slice (over).
In a small bowl, combine melted butter or margarine, cheese,
garlic powder, and dry mustard, if desired, mixing well. Spread about 1 tablespoon butter/cheese
mixture evenly on the untoasted side of each bread slice. Broil, about 6
to 8 inches from heat source, until topping is bubbly hot and edges are lightly
browned, about 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle
tops of each lightly with paprika.
Serve immediately. Cover and
refrigerate any remaining topping for later use.
Variations: Add a pinch of chili powder to cheese
Add a pinch of saffron to cheese mixture. Add ¼ to 1/3 cup minced green onion (include some green tops) to
Add ¼ to 1/3 cup minced parsley (no stems) to butter/cheese mixture.