TOASTY PARMESAN OR
ROMANO CHEESE BREAD SLICES
6 to 8 servings
- 1 loaf/baguette French or Italian bread,about 18 inches
long and cut on-the-diagonal into ½-inch thick slices
- 1 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese or reduced-fat
Parmesan or Romano cheese, or ½ cup of each
- ½ cup mayonnaise or reduced-fat mayonnaise
- ¼ to 1/3 cup minced green onion (include some green tops)
- Pinch of dry mustard (optional)
- Paprika as desired for garnish
Arrange bread slices, one layer, on an ungreased baking
sheet; broil, about 6 to 8 inches from heat source, until lightly toasted,
about 2 minutes. Remove from oven, turn
each slice (over). In a small bowl,
combine Parmesan cheese, mayonnaise, green onion, and dry mustard, if desired,
mixing well. Spread about 1 tablespoon
cheese mixture evenly on the untoasted side of each bread slice. Broil,
about 6 to 8 inches from heat source, until topping is bubbly hot and edges are
lightly browned, about 1 to 2 minutes.
Sprinkle tops of each lightly with paprika. Serve immediately. Cover and refrigerate any remaining topping
for later use.
Variations: Add a pinch of chili powder to cheese
a pinch of saffron to cheese mixture.