DRUMSTICKS OR THIGHS TERIYAKI-STYLE
4 to 6 dinner
- 4 green onions, chopped (include some green part)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1½ cups dry sherry
- 1 cup commercial teriyaki sauce
- 1 cup light brown sugar or the
equivalent of 1 cup brown sugar in granulated brown sugar substitute
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons dark corn syrup
- ½ to 1 teaspoon freshly grated peeled gingerroot
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- About 2 to 3 pounds chicken drumsticks or thighs, or a
combination (skin may be
removed, if desired)
In a deep large bowl,
combine all the Teriyaki Marinade ingredients, blending well. Add chicken pieces, coating each with the
marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at
least 2 hours or up to 24 hours to blend the flavors, turning chicken pieces
pieces, bone-side down, on a barbecue grill rack, about 10 inches above medium
coals (ash gray and glowing) or gas grill set at low to medium temperature.
Grill chicken, turning (over) each piece and basting frequently with the
marinade until chicken is fork tender and done, 25 to 35 minutes total grilling
time. Be careful not to burn chicken.
To serve, arrange
chicken pieces on a serving platter or individual plates and garnish as
May also bake
chicken. Prepare chicken pieces as
previously directed for grilling. Arrange chicken pieces in a 13 x 9 x 2-inch
baking pan and bake in a preheated moderate oven (350 degrees F.) for 35 to 40
minutes or until chicken pieces are fork tender. Garnish as previously directed.
Note: May also use chicken breasts or breast pieces,
if desired, in place of chicken drumsticks or thighs.