OR YELLOW SUMMER SQUASH SOUP
This is a
refreshing soup to serve on a hot day.
- 1 large or 2 medium zucchini or yellow squash, peeled or
unpeeled as desired, and seeds removed
- 1 cup light cream or half-and-half (see note)
- 1 cup sour cream or reduced-fat sour cream or unflavored
yogurt or reduced-fat unflavored yogurt
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Garlic powder, salt, and freshly ground black or
white pepper to taste
- Whipped cream or additional sour cream or unflavored
yogurt for garnish
- Thin slices of unpeeled zucchini or yellow squash,
chopped tomato, twists of lemon peel , and sprigs of fresh
parsley for garnish
Grate zucchini or yellow squash and set aside.
In a large bowl, combine cream, sour cream or yogurt,
chicken broth, and vinegar, blending well.
Add grated zucchini or yellow squash.
Season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste. Cover and chill thoroughly in the
refrigerator to blend flavors.
To serve, pour into chilled bowls or mugs, dividing evenly,
and garnish each with a dollop of whipped cream or sour cream or yogurt,
thin zucchini or yellow squash slices, chopped tomato, lemon peel twists, and a
sprig of fresh parsley.
Note: May omit cream or half-and-half; use 1 cup milk
or reduced-fat milk. However, the flavor will not be
Variation: Add 2 to 3 drops hot pepper sauce or a few
grains cayenne pepper or to taste to soup mixture.