MIXED FRESH FRUIT SALAD
WITH ASSORTED DRESSINGS
4 to 6 servings
- Yummy Cooked Fruit Salad Dressing or Honey Mayonnaise or Tangy Fruit Salad Dressing or other fruit salad-type dressing as desired
- 1 firm ripe medium cantaloupe, peeled, cut into cubes, and seeds removed, or 1 cup cubed peeled firm ripe watermelon or honeydew melon or mango, seeds removed
- 1 to 2 firm ripe medium banana(s), peeled and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 cup sliced firm ripe strawberries or whole firm ripe red raspberries or blackberries, stems removed, or a combination
- ½ to ¾ cup bite-size pieces peeled fresh pineapple
- ½ to ¾ cup bite-size pieces peeled or unpeeled firm ripe peaches
- ½ cup fresh blueberries, stems removed
- Crisp leaf lettuce or Bibb or Boston lettuce as needed
- Sprigs of fresh mint for garnish
Prepare desired dressing; set aside. Prepare fruits. Prepare banana just before serving. Combine all prepared fruits in a glass or ceramic bowl, mixing gently, but well. Just before serving, add a small amount of desired dressing to fruit mixture, tossing lightly to coat fruits. Or, leave fruit undressed. Spoon dressed or undressed fruit mixture onto lettuce-lined salad plates, dividing evenly. For the undressed fruit salads, spoon a small amount of dressing over each salad. May pass additional dressing in a sauceboat, if desired. Garnish each salad with a sprig of fresh mint.
Yummy Cooked Fruit Salad Dressing
about 2 cups
- 3 egg yolks (see note)
- 6 tablespoons sugar or the equivalent of 6 tablespoons sugar in granulated sugar substitute
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- ½ cup chilled heavy cream, whipped
In the top of a double boiler, combine egg yolks and sugar, mixing well. Gradually stir in pineapple juice and vinegar. Cook over simmering water, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and coats a spoon. Be careful not to curdle the egg yolks. Cool thoroughly. Fold whipped cream into cooled dressing. May store dressing in a sealed glass or plastic container in the refrigerator for a few days, if desired.
Note: May omit egg yolks; use the equivalent of 1½ eggs in egg substitute, IE, Egg Beaters.
About 1 1/8 cups
- 1 cup mayonnaise or reduced-fat or no-fat mayonnaise
- 2 to 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds (optional)
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, blending well. May store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Tangy Fruit Salad Dressing
about 1 cup
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup salad oil (corn, canola, or safflower oil)
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lime peel
- 1 teaspoon celery seed (optional)
- Pinch each of salt and paprika
Combine lime juice and honey in a small bowl; gradually add oil with a wire whisk, whisking until mixture is smooth and well blended. Stir in lime peel, celery seed, if used, salt and paprika. Store in a sealed glass or plastic container in the refrigerator. Shake well before using.