(ABC News)–The accused Boston Marathon bombers originally planned to target a
Fourth of July celebration in Boston, one of the suspects said according
to ABC News sources.
The sources said the surviving suspect, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, told
authorities after his capture that he and his older brother, Tamerlan,
only changed their plan and hit the marathon because they were surprised
at how quickly they were able to build functioning explosives.
Dzhokhar also reportedly told the FBI that the bombs were constructed in Tamerlan's Cambridge apartment.
In the end, the Tsarnaev brothers stand accused of setting off a pair of
bombs near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on April 15, killing
three people, including an 8-year-old boy, and injuring more than 260
others. Tamerlan was killed in a shootout with police days later, while
Dzhokhar was injured and later captured.
Previously, Dzhokhar reportedly said
the brothers had learned how to build bombs online and were not funded
or directed by any foreign government or rogue group. Still, authorities
are investigating a 2012 trip Tamerlan took to Russia where he met with known Islamist militants in Dagestan.
Copyright 2013 by ABC News