Boston Police: 3 More Bombing Suspects In Custody

(Image 1)

BOSTON (AP) — Boston police say three more suspects have been taken into custody in the marathon bombings.

In
a tweet Wednesday morning, the police department says only that three
more suspects are in custody and more details will follow. Police
spokeswoman Cheryl Fiandaca confirmed the tweet but referred all other
questions to the FBI.

Three people were killed and more than 260 injured on April 15 when two bombs exploded near the finish line.

Suspect
Tamerlan Tsarnaev died after a gunfight with police several days later.
His brother, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, was captured and lies in a hospital
prison.

Both are Russian natives who lived for several years in the U.S. They are accused of using a weapon of mass destruction.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

Relatives
of the dead suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing will claim his body
now that his wife has agreed to release it, an uncle said as officials
in both Washington and Russia deepened their investigations into him and
his ties.

The body of Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26,
has been at the medical examiner's office in Massachusetts since he died
after a gunfight with authorities more than a week ago.

Amato
DeLuca, the Rhode Island attorney for his widow, Katherine Russell,
said Tuesday that his client had just learned that the medical examiner
was ready to release Tsarnaev's body and that she wants it released to
his side of the family.

Police said Tsarnaev
ran out of ammunition before his brother, 19-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev,
dragged his body under a vehicle while fleeing the scene. His cause of
death has been determined but will not be made public until his remains
are claimed.

“Of course, family members will
take possession of the body,” uncle Ruslan Tsarni of Maryland told The
Associated Press on Tuesday night. “We'll do it. We will do it. A family
is a family.”

He would not elaborate.
Tsarnaev's parents are still in Russia, but he has other relatives on
his side of the family in the U.S., including Tsarni.

Tsarnaev's
father, Anzor, announced plans last week to travel to the U.S. in the
hope of burying his elder son, but he told the AP on Wednesday that
those plans are off because he is suffering from bad headaches and high
blood pressure. The 46-year-old Tsarnaev said he still hopes to go when
he is feeling better.

Anzor Tsarnaev's other
son, Dzhokhar, lies in a prison hospital after being wounded in the
shootout with police as he and his brother made their getaway attempt.
He is charged with using a weapon of mass destruction to kill, a crime
that carries a potential death sentence.

Russian
agents placed the older suspect under surveillance during a six-month
visit to southern Russia last year, then scrambled to find him when he
suddenly disappeared after police killed a Canadian jihadist, a security
official told the AP.

U.S. law enforcement
officials have been trying to determine whether Tamerlan Tsarnaev was
indoctrinated or trained by militants during his visit to Dagestan, a
Caspian Sea province that has become the center of a simmering Islamic
insurgency.

The security official with the
Anti-Extremism Center, a federal agency under Russia's Interior
Ministry, confirmed the Russians shared their concerns. He said that
Russian agents were watching Tsarnaev, and that they searched for him
when he disappeared two days after the July 2012 death of the Canadian
man, who had joined the Islamic insurgency in the region. The official
spoke only on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to
speak to the news media.

Security officials
suspected ties between Tsarnaev and the Canadian – an ethnic Russian
named William Plotnikov – according to the Novaya Gazeta newspaper,
which is known for its independence and investigative reporting and
cited an unnamed official with the Anti-Extremism Center, which tracks
militants. The newspaper said the men had social networking ties that
brought Tsarnaev to the attention of Russian security services for the
first time in late 2010.

President Barack
Obama said Tuesday at a news conference that the U.S. counterterrorism
bureaucracy “did what it was supposed to be doing” before the Boston
Marathon bombing as his top intelligence official began a review into
whether sensitive information was adequately shared and whether the U.S.
government could have disrupted the attack.

“We
want to go back and we want to review every step that was taken,” Obama
said. “We want to leave no stone unturned. We want to see, is there in
fact additional protocols and procedures that could be put in place that
would further improve and enhance our ability to detect a potential
attack.”

In Rhode Island, DeLuca said Tamerlan
Tsarnaev's widow met with law enforcement “for many hours over the past
week” and will continue cooperating. FBI agents on Monday visited her
parents' North Kingstown, R.I., home, where she has been staying, and
carried away several bags.

“Katherine and her family continue to be deeply saddened by the harm that has been caused,” DeLuca said Tuesday.

Terrel
Harris, a spokesman for the Department of Public Safety, said Tuesday
evening that the state had not yet received Russell's request to release
her husband's body.

He said arrangements must
be made to release the body and once that happens a death certificate
will be filed and the cause of death made public. He said it is too soon
to speculate on when that might happen.



Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s