CHOCOLATE RASPBERRY MOUSSE IN SHORTBREAD
TARTLETS WITH FRESH RASPBERRY GARNISH
About 3 to 4 dozen miniature tartlets
- 4 to 4½ ounces bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 jumbo egg or 1 medium to large egg plus 1 egg white,
- or the equivalent in egg substitute of 1½ eggs, IE Egg Beaters
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, at room temperature
- ¾ cup confectioners' sugar (see note)
- 1 tablespoon raspberry liqueur or ½ to 1 teaspoon raspberry flavoring
- 1 cup chilled heavy cream, whipped,
- or 2 cups thawed frozen non-dairy whipped topping
- or reduced-fat or no-fat non-dairy whipped topping (see note)
- 2 to 3 (4.2-ounce) packages Kroger Private Selection Shortbread Tartlet Shells
- Additional sweetened flavored whipped cream or whipped topping of choice for garnish (optional)
- Firm ripe fresh whole raspberries as desired, stems removed, for garnish
- Sprigs of fresh mint for garnish (optional)
In the top of a double boiler, melt chocolate pieces over very hot, but not simmering or boiling, water; stir a small amount of melted chocolate into beaten egg(s). Gradually stir egg mixture into remaining melted chocolate; continue to heat over very hot water for 2 minutes to cook eggs. Cool slightly.
In a medium bowl, cream butter thoroughly; gradually add confectioners' sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Beat in desired liqueur or flavoring. Fold in chocolate/egg mixture and whipped cream or whipped topping of choice, blending gently but well. May spoon into a 1½-quart bowl, loosely cover, and chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve. (May freeze, covered, if desired; allow to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.) Fill each tartlet shell with mousse, mounding the mousse in each shell. May garnish with additional sweetened flavored whipped cream or whipped topping of choice, if desired. Top each with a fresh raspberry, and a sprig of mint, if desired.
Note: If using whipped topping in the mousse, reduce the amount of confectioners' sugar to ¼ cup as whipped topping is already sweetened.
Reduced-fat or No-fat Variation: Omit butter, bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate, and egg(s). Carefully fold ¾ cup sifted unsweetened cocoa into 4 cups thawed frozen reduced-fat or no-fat whipped topping. Add ¼ cup sugar or the equivalent in granulated sugar substitute, if desired, and ½ to 1 tablespoon raspberry liqueur or ½ to 1 teaspoon raspberry flavoring, blending gently but well. Follow previous instructions for chilling and serving. Garnish with whole fresh raspberries and fresh mint sprigs, if desired.
Variation: Omit raspberries and raspberry liqueur or flavoring; use brandy and garnish with fresh whole or sliced strawberries.