SAVORY SHRIMP QUICHE
one 10-inch diameter quiche, 8 servings
- Unbaked deep dish pie shell (10-inch), or ½ (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts (1 crust)
- 8 to 10 ounces small to medium shrimp (see note)
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms, or 1(4.5-ounce) jar/can (net wt.) sliced mushrooms, drained (optional) (see note)
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted (see note)
- 2 cups shredded Swiss or Gruyere cheese or cut-up, rind-removed Brie cheese or reduced-fat cheese of choice
- 3 eggs, at room temperature (see note)
- 2 cups light cream or half-and-half or milk or reduced-fat or skim milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg or to taste or 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning or to taste
- Salt and freshly ground white or black pepper to taste
Line pie shell with aluminum foil; place a layer of uncooked rice or dried beans over foil. Partially bake pie shell in a preheated hot oven (425 degrees F.) for 7 minutes; remove from oven, remove rice or beans and foil, and allow pie shell to cool.
Cook shrimp in salted boiling water to cover thoroughly over moderate heat just until shrimp turn opaque in color and cut easily with a fork; do not overcook. Drain shrimp, peel, devein, cut-up, and set aside.
In a medium heavy skillet, sauté fresh mushrooms, if desired, in melted butter over moderate heat until just tender; do not overcook. Do not sauté canned mushrooms. Drain off pan drippings and set mushrooms aside.
Lightly press cheese into the bottom of the partially baked crust. Sprinkle shrimp and mushrooms evenly over cheese.
In a medium bowl, combine eggs and flour, beating lightly. Stir in cream and seasonings, blending well. Pour egg mixture over cheese/shrimp/mushroom mixture.
Bake in a preheated moderate oven (375 degrees F.) for 35 to 40 minutes or until filling is set and top is golden brown. A silver knife inserted into the edge of the quiche will come out clean. (If top edge of quiche crust begins to become too brown, cover crust edge with strips of aluminum foil.)
Note: If not using mushrooms, use 12 ounces of shrimp. May also use commercial thawed frozen cooked peeled deveined shrimp, if desired.
Note: May omit butter or margarine; liberally coat skillet with non-caloric vegetable cooking spray. If not using mushrooms, drizzle melted butter over crabmeat in crust before baking.
Note: May omit eggs; use the equivalent of 3 eggs in egg substitute, IE Egg Beaters.