POTATO SALAD FRANCISCAN
This is an old, but good, potato salad recipe with a few additions. If taking potato salad to a picnic, be sure to transport it in a cooler packed with ice or frozen artificial ice-packs so it does not spoil en route.
- 5 to 6 medium potatoes (see note)
- Boiling water as needed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons salad oil (corn, canola, or safflower oil)
- 2 tablespoons white or cider vinegar
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ to ¾ cup small cubes sharp Cheddar or Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese, or other desired cheese cubes
- 3 tablespoons chopped green pepper, divided
- 2 to 3 tablespoons each chopped sweet red pepper and yellow pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped peeled onion or green onion (include some green tops)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise or reduced-fat or no-fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1 firm ripe large or 2 small to medium avocado(s), peeled, seed(s) removed, cut into pieces, and immediately sprinkled with lemon juice to prevent discoloration
- ½ cup sour cream or reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley (no stems)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (preferably freshly squeezed)
In a large heavy saucepan or pot, cook potatoes, covered, in boiling water to cover over moderate to high heat for about 25 to 30 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender but not mushy. Do not overcook. Drain potatoes well, dice, place in a large bowl, and sprinkle hot potatoes with salt and pepper to taste. Add oil and vinegar, tossing potatoes to coat well. Cool thoroughly. Add celery, cheese cubes of choice, 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper, sweet red and yellow pepper, and onion or green onion, mixing gently but well.
In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and mustard, blending well: add mayonnaise/mustard mixture to potatoes, mixing gently but well. Transfer potato salad to a shallow serving bowl. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
Just before serving, in a small bowl, mash avocado(s); stir in sour cream, parsley, 1 tablespoon chopped green pepper, and 2 teaspoons lemon juice, blending well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spread mixture evenly over potato mixture in serving bowl. Garnish as desired.
Note: May use white or red-skinned potatoes as desired.
Variations: Omit salt and pepper and add seasoned salt and seasoned pepper to taste to potato mixture. Add thinly sliced back/ripe olives to potato mixture.
Do not mash avocado(s); cut into bite-size pieces and add to potato mixture. Stir sour cream and 2 teaspoons lemon juice into mayonnaise/mustard mixture and add all at once to potato salad. Add all the green pepper and parsley to the potato mixture. Season as previously directed.