CRANBERRY PEAR CHUTNEY
about 1 quart
- 2 large or 3 firm ripe pears (Bartlett, bosc, or Anjou variety), peeled, cored, seeds removed and cut into thin slices or bite-size pieces
- 2 cups fresh cranberries, stems removed
- 2½ cups light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 cups seedless golden raisins
- 1½ cups cider vinegar
- Salt or to taste
- 10 to 12 whole allspice
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon mixed pickling spices
- Cheesecloth and kitchen twine as needed
- Boiling-Water Bath
Prepare fruits. In a large heavy saucepan, combine pears, cranberries, brown sugar, raisins, vinegar, and salt.
Tie allspice, cloves, and pickling spices in a square of cheesecloth and tie securely with kitchen twine. Add to fruit mixture.
Quickly bring mixture to a boil over high heat; reduce temperature to moderate and continue cooking, stirring constantly, for 20 minutes. Remove spice bag and allow chutney to cool.
Ladle mixture into a clean 1-quart glass jar. Refrigerate cooled prepared chutney for up to 2 to 3 weeks, if desired.
Note: Increase seasonings to taste, if desired.
Variation: Add dried hot pepper flakes to taste to spice mixture in spice bag.