AMBROSIA WITH A TWIST
6 to 8 servings
Similar to Ambrosia, a Southern favorite, this recipe is an excellent dish to serve for Christmas Eve or Christmas Day dinner or Christmas brunch.
- 1 large red-flesh grapefruit, peeled and white membrane and seeds removed
- 2 large seedless oranges, peeled and white membrane removed
- 1 to 2 tangerines or 3 clementines, peeled and white membrane removed
- 1 pomegranate, seeds removed from shell and peel (use seeds only)
- ¾ cup peeled fresh pineapple chunks, or defrosted frozen pineapple chunks, or drained canned pineapple chunks
- ½ to ¾ cup halved seedless green or red or black grapes, stems removed
- 1/3 cup orange or tangerine juice or pineapple unsweetened juice, or a combination
- About 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar or to taste, sifted
- Cream sherry or orange liqueur or light or dark rum or orange or unsweetened pineapple juice as desired (optional)
- Pecan or English walnut halves for garnish as desired
- Sweetened flaked coconut as desired
- Fresh raspberries and/or strawberries or maraschino cherries and mint sprigs for garnish (optional)
Several hours before serving, cut grapefruit, oranges, and tangerines or clementines in segments, chunks, or slices. Spread one-fourth of the citrus fruit pieces over the bottom of a large glass or china serving bowl. Sprinkle one-third of the pomegranate seeds, pineapple pieces, and grapes over citrus fruit in the bowl. Repeat process, finishing with one-fourth of the citrus fruit pieces.
Combine orange and/or tangerine juice(s) and/or pineapple juice and sugar, stirring until sugar dissolves; pour over fruit. Add a small amount of sherry or liqueur or rum as desired. Cover and chill in the refrigerator until serving time. Garnish with coconut and pecan or English walnut halves and fresh raspberries or strawberries or maraschino cherries and sprigs of mint, if desired.
Variations: Add 1 to 2 thinly sliced peeled bananas to the fruit mixture just before serving.
Omit part of the oranges or clementines; add 1 to 2 peeled and sliced firm ripe mangos to the fruit mix.