MINIATURE FUDGE MUFFINS
about 4 to 5 dozen miniature muffins
- 4 ounces (squares) semisweet chocolate
- 1 cup unsalted butter or margarine
- 1¾ cups sugar or granulated sugar substitute
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- Pinch of salt
- 3 jumbo or extra large eggs or the equivalent of 3 eggs in egg substitute, (i.e. Egg Beaters), at room temperature and slightly beaten
- 2 cups chopped pecans or English walnuts (optional)
In the top of a double boiler, melt chocolate and butter over hot water; cool.
In a large bowl, combine sugar, flour, cocoa, and salt, mixing well. Add eggs, chocolate, and vanilla, beating with a wire whisk just until dry ingredients are moistened (do not overbeat).
Fold in nuts, if desired. Fill miniature muffin pans (1 7/8- inches in diameter), lined with paper or foil baking cups, three-fourths full.
Bake in a preheated slow oven (300 degrees F.) for 25 minutes or until a tester inserted
into the center of the muffins comes out clean. Cool in pans for 15 minutes, then turn out onto wire racks to finish cooling.