OCTOBERFEST DELIGHTS SWEET AND SOUR RED CABBAGE
6 to 8 servings
Sweet and sour red cabbage has been a favorite vegetables dish with Americans of German decent for decades. For those of you who like sweet and sour flavors together, this recipe is a nice addition to an Autumn meal.
- 2 medium tart apples, cored, peeled, seeds removed, and sliced or cut into bite-size pieces
- ¼ cup bacon drippings or butter or margarine
- 1 head red cabbage (about 2 pounds) shredded
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- ½ cup sugar or the equivalent of ½ cup sugar in granulated sugar substitute
- ½ tablespoon flour or 1 tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)
In a large heavy skillet, heat bacon drippings or melt butter over moderate heat. Add apple slices and sauté over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until tender. Mix in cabbage. In a 1-cup measure, combine remaining ingredients, blending well; stir mixture into cabbage. Reduce heat, cover, and cook over low heat about 30 to 40 minutes or until cabbage is of desired tenderness.