GINGERY FRESH PEAR CRISP
- 1 cup quick-cooking or regular rolled oats
- ¾ cup light or dark brown sugar, firmly packed or the equivalent of ¾ cup brown sugar in granulated brown sugar substitute
- ½ cup sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon or nutmeg or ½ teaspoon cinnamon and ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter or margarine, melted (see note)
- ½ to ¾ cup sugar or the equivalent of ½ to ¾ cup sugar in granulated sugar substitute
- ¼ cup sifted flour
- Pinch of salt
- 4 to 5 firm ripe medium pears, peeled, cored, seeds removed, and thinly sliced
- ½ cup chopped crystallized/candied ginger
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Flavored whipped cream or whipped topping of choice, or vanilla ice cream or reduced-calorie vanilla ice cream as desired (optional)
In a medium bowl, combine rolled oats, brown sugar, ½ cup flour, cinnamon or nutmeg, ground ginger, and salt; add butter, mixing well. Set aside.
In a small bowl, combine sugar, ¼ cup flour, and pinch of salt, mixing well; set aside.
Arrange pear slices in an 8 x 8 x 2-inch or 9 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish/pan lightly coated with non-caloric vegetable cooking spray. Evenly sprinkle chopped crystallized/candied ginger over pears. Evenly sprinkle sugar/flour/salt mixture over pears/crystallized ginger. Evenly sprinkle oat mixture over pear mixture.
Bake in a preheated hot oven (400 degrees F.) for 25 to 30 minutes, or until topping is golden brown and crisp and pears are bubbly hot. To serve, spoon warm or room-temperature Gingery Pear Crisp into dessert dishes, dividing evenly. Top each with flavored whipped cream or desired whipped topping or a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired.
Note: May reduce butter to 1/3 cup, if desired; however, topping will not be as rich in flavor or texture.