4 to 6 servings
- 1 pound mild-flavored Italian-style sausage, casing removed, if desired and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1½ pounds boneless chicken breasts or tenders, cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves or to taste, peeled and minced
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced and then coarsely chopped, leaves discarded (optional) (see note)
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- ½ to 1 (16-ounce) package frozen very small onions
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon finely snipped fresh tarragon leaves (no stems)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Hot cooked rice or pasta of choice (optional)
- Freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese for garnish as desired (optional)
- Sprigs of fresh tarragon or parsley for garnish
In a large heavy skillet, lightly brown sausage over moderate heat. Add chicken and mushrooms and sauté until chicken pieces and mushrooms are lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Add garlic, fennel, if desired, tomatoes, onions, wine, and snipped tarragon. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes or until onions are tender and mixture bubbly hot. Adjust seasoning to taste.
Serve over hot cooked rice or pasta of choice, if desired. Garnish each serving with freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese, if desired, and/or a sprig of fresh tarragon or parsley.
Note: Fennel is similar to celery with feathery leaves and a licorice flavor. It is sometimes used in Italian recipes.