WITH BUTTER CREAM FROSTING AND CANDIED GINGER
about 24 cupcakes
- 2¾ cups sifted flour, divided
- 2½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup light molasses
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- or the equivalent of ½ cup brown sugar in granulated brown sugar substitute, firmly packed
- 2/3 cup cooking oil or 2/3 cup butter or margarine (see note)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk or reduced-fat buttermilk or sour milk or reduced-fat sour milk
- 1/4 cup orange juice or brandy
- 2 eggs, at room temperature and beaten (see note)
- Butter Cream Frosting
- Chopped crystallized/candied ginger as desired for garnish
Sift together the flour and the next 6 ingredients; set aside. Combine molasses, sugar, and oil or melted butter in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over moderate heat, stirring several times. Cool to lukewarm. Stir cooled molasses mixture and buttermilk into dry ingredients. Add orange juice or brandy and eggs, stirring until smooth. Fill muffin pans, 2 3/4-inches in diameter, individually lined with paper or foil baking cups, two-thirds full. Bake in a preheated moderate oven (350 degrees F.) for about 25 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center of cupcakes comes out clean. Remove and cool thoroughly on a wire rack. When cupcakes are thoroughly cooled, frost the top of each with Butter Cream Frosting. Garnish the top of each with chopped crystallized/candied ginger.
Note: May reduce oil or butter to ½ cup, if desired. May also use ½ to 2/3 cup Smucker's Shortening & Oil Baking Replacement in place of oil or butter, if desired.
Note: May omit eggs; use the equivalent of 2 eggs in egg substitute, IE Egg Beaters.
Butter Cream Frosting
enough for 24 cupcakes
- ½ cup butter or margarine, at room temperature
- 1 (1-pound) box confectioners' sugar (about 4½ cups), sifted
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half or milk or reduced-fat or skim milk (approximate), divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a deep medium bowl, cream butter thoroughly. Add 1 cup confectioners' sugar and salt, beating well. Add remaining sugar and 1 tablespoon half-and-half. Beat until smooth. Add vanilla and remaining half-and-half as needed to achieve correct spreading consistency. Beat in food coloring, if desired.