FRESH MUSHROOM SALAD
- 1/3 cup red or white wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon finely snipped fresh chives
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms (any variety), each cap sliced ¼-inch thick, stems thickly sliced on-the-diagonal
- Crisp salad greens as desired
- Firm ripe tomato wedges as desired for garnish
- Sliced peeled hard-cooked eggs as desired for garnish (optional)
- Chopped green pepper as desired for garnish
- Sprigs of fresh watercress for garnish (optional)
In a medium bowl, combine the wine vinegar, garlic, and chives; with a wire whisk, gradually whisk in olive oil, blending until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add mushrooms, coating well with dressing. Cover and refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
To serve, arrange crisp greens on salad plates, dividing evenly. With a slotted spoon, spoon mushroom mixture onto salad plates lined with greens, draining off any excess dressing. Garnish each salad with tomato wedges, hard-cooked egg slices, if desired, chopped green pepper, and a sprig of watercress, if desired.