HARVEST-TIME FRESH GREEN BEANS - 4 servings
- 1 to 1½ pound(s) fresh green beans (see note)
- 1 (5-ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, well drained
- ½ cup thinly sliced green onions (include some green parts)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted (see note)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Chopped pimento and minced parsley (no stems) as desired for garnish
Remove tip ends and strings from beans. In a medium heavy saucepan, cook green beans, uncovered, in enough boiling salted water to just cover beans for 12 to 15 minutes or until beans are crisp tender. Do not overcook. Drain beans well.
While beans are cooking, sauté water chestnuts and green onion in butter in a small heavy skillet over moderate heat until crisp tender; remove from heat and set aside until beans are finished cooking. Add water chestnut/onion mixture to well-drained beans. Season with salt and pepper to taste, tossing mixture lightly to mix. Garnish each serving with chopped pimento and minced parsley.
Note: May use 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen green beans; cook according to package directions.
Note: May reduce butter or margarine, if desired; liberally coat skillet with non-caloric vegetable cooking spray.