Scalloped Cabbage au Gratin – 6 servings
- 1 medium cabbage, core removed and shredded
- Boiling water as needed
- 2 cups finely shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- ¼ cup sifted flour
- Salt, cayenne pepper, and freshly ground white or black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, at room temperature and divided into small pieces/dabs
- 2 cups milk or reduced-fat or skim milk
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- Paprika for garnish
Place cabbage in a large heavy saucepan; add about ¼ cup boiling water. Cover and simmer over moderate heat for 8 minutes. Drain well.
While cabbage is cooking, combine 1½ cups shredded cheese, flour, salt, cayenne pepper, and white or black pepper to taste in a small bowl, mixing well.
Alternately arrange layers of cabbage, cheese mixture, and dabs of butter, dividing evenly, in a 1½-quart casserole lightly coated with non-caloric vegetable cooking spray, repeating layers until all cabbage, cheese mixture, and butter is used. Evenly pour milk over cabbage mixture. Bake in a preheated moderate oven (350 degrees F.) for 25 minutes. Combine remaining ½ cup shredded cheese and bread crumbs, mixing well; evenly sprinkle cheese/crumb mixture over cabbage. Continue baking about 8 minutes until crumb mixture is lightly browned. Garnish top of casserole with a sprinkle of paprika.