GRILLED SALMON OR TUNA WITH FRESH TOMATO BASIL SALSA – 4 servings
- 3 firm ripe medium tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped, or about 16 to 18 firm ripe grape or cherry tomatoes, each quartered
- ¼ to 1/3 cup finely snipped fresh basil leaves (no stems)
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onion (include some green tops)
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 5 to 6 drops balsamic vinegar or to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoon(s) butter or margarine, melted, or extra virgin olive oil for brushing salmon or tuna, divided
- 1½ to 2 pounds salmon or tuna fillet, fresh or thawed frozen, cut into 4 serving pieces
- Sprigs of fresh basil for garnish
In a small bowl, combine the first 5 ingredients; season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside. Arrange fish fillets on a grill rack, 8 to 10 inches above medium coals (ash gray and glowing) for a charcoal grill, or on regular placement of grill rack in a gas grill set at medium setting; brush fillets lightly with half of the butter or margarine or olive oil. Grill for about 5 minutes, turn fillets, brush with remaining butter or oil, and continue grilling for 3 to 5 minutes to desired doneness and fish flakes easily with a fork and is opaque in color. Season fillet(s) with salt and pepper after fillet(s) have browned. Do not overcook as fish will become dried out and sometimes tough. Tuna may be cooked quite rare, if desired; grill over hot coals or gas grill set at high setting for 3 to 4 minutes per side. To serve, spoon Tomato-Basil Salsa over each portion and garnish each with a sprig of fresh basil.
Broiling and Pan-frying Instructions: Arrange fillet(s) on a broiler rack in broiler pan; brush with butter or oil as previously directed. Broil, about 8 to 10 inches from heat source, for about 4 to 5 minutes; turn (over) fillets, brush with butter or oil, and continue broiling for 4 to 5 minutes or to desired doneness. Or, pan-fry fish fillet(s) in a large heavy skillet lightly coated with melted butter or margarine or hot olive oil, about 3 minutes per side, or until fish is opaque in color and flakes easily with a fork. Garnish as previously directed.
Variation: Add 1 to 2 cut-up/bite-size pieces peeled firm ripe avocado(s), which have been lightly coated in lemon juice to prevent discoloration, to salsa mixture.