SAVORY CHICKEN PATTIES WITH FRESH HERBS – 6 servings
- 1 pound uncooked ground fresh or thawed frozen chicken or turkey
- 1 egg or 2 egg whites or the equivalent of 1 egg in egg substitute, IE, Egg Beaters
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup buttermilk or reduced-fat or no-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup finely snipped fresh herbs of choice (thyme, basil, oregano or marjoram, sage, or rosemary, or a combination) (no stems)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons minced parsley
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce or to taste
- Few grains cayenne pepper to taste (optional)
- Salt or seasoned salt and freshly ground black pepper or seasoned pepper to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoon(s) hot cooking oil (see note)
In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients, except oil, mixing well. Shape mixture into six equal-size patties (mixture will be quite wet). Pan-fry in hot oil (see note) in a large heavy skillet over moderate heat for about 4 to 5 minutes; turn (over) patties, flatten with a spatula, and continue to pan-fry about 4 to 5 minutes, or until done. Or, arrange patties on a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil on a grill rack, about 8 to 10 inches above medium coals (ash gray and glowing), or at highest level and at medium setting of a gas grill; grill about 4 minutes to firm meat mixture, then transfer directly to grill rack to brown for 1 to 2 minutes; turn (over) patties and continue grilling to desired doneness, about 4 minutes. Do not overcook. Serve immediately.
Note: May omit cooking oil, if desired; liberally coat skillet with non-caloric vegetable cooking oil.
Variations: Add 1/3 cup chopped green onion (include some green tops) or 1/3 cup chopped sweet red or yellow pepper, or a combination.
Add ½ to 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning to chicken mixture.