THE BUENA VISTA'S FABULOUS IRISH COFFEE – 6 servings
Irish Coffee is thought to have been concocted at the bar of the Shannon, Ireland airport. It made its way to America and became famous as a signature drink at the Buena Vista restaurant located near Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco.
- 6 glasses (goblets, cups, or mugs)
- Hot water as needed
- 6 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 4 to 6 cups hot strong coffee, divided
- 6 (1½-ounce) jiggers Irish whiskey, divided
- Softly whipped cream for garnish, divided
- Green granulated sugar as desired for garnish (optional)
Warm glasses. Hold bowl of metal spoon near bottom of serving glass; pour hot water into spoon and then into glass. Empty glass and repeat. Add 1 teaspoon sugar to each glass. Fill glasses one-fourth full with coffee. Stir until sugar dissolves. Add a jigger of whiskey to each glass and fill glass to within 1 inch of top with coffee. Top each with softly whipped cream. Do not stir. If desired, sprinkle green granulated sugar over whipped cream of each serving. Serve at once.
Variation: Omit Irish whiskey and use Bailey's Irish Cream or Irish Mist liqueurs.