SWARTZ'S CHALUPA – 6 servings
- 8 ounces dried pinto beans (see note)
- Water as needed
- 1½ pounds boneless pork loin or about 1 (2 ½ to 3-pound) bone-in pork loin
- 1 to 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, minced (seeds removed, if desired),
- or ½ to 1 (6 ½-ounce) can green chiles, chopped (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder or to taste
- 1½ teaspoons cumin or to taste
- 1½ teaspoons finely snipped fresh oregano leaves (no stems), or ½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Crisp corn chips as desired
- Shredded sharp Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese or Taco Cheese Blend , shredded lettuce, chopped firm ripe tomatoes, and chopped peeled onions as desired
- Hot pepper sauce and sour cream or reduced-fat sour cream as desired for garnish
Rinse pinto beans and soak in water to cover for 12 hours; drain well.
In a medium stock pot or Dutch oven, combine drained beans, pork loin, jalapeno peppers, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, and salt and pepper to taste; add enough water cover well. Bring mixture to a full simmer over moderate heat; reduce heat and simmer slowly, cover ajar, for 6 hours, adding water as necessary. Shred pork, discarding any bone; return meat to pot and continue cooking, uncovered, for 1 hour.
To serve, adjust seasoning to taste. Arrange crisp corn chips on individual plates and spoon pork mixture over chips. In order, top each serving with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, and onion. Sprinkle each lightly with hot pepper sauce, if desired, and garnish with a dollop of sour cream.
Note: May omit dried pinto beans; use 1 to 2 (14 to 16-ounce cans) pinto beans and include liquid for flavor. Do not add canned beans until the last 30 minutes of cooking so that beans do not become mushy.
Crock Pot/Slow Cooker Instructions: Proceed as previously directed using HIGH setting to bring pork mixture to a simmer; reduce setting to LOW and continue to cook as previously directed.