CHOCOLATE FONDUE EXTRAORDINAIRE – 2½ cups sauce, about 8 servings
- 3 ounces cream cheese, or reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup half-and-half (see note)
- 16 ounces bittersweet or semi-sweet or milk chocolate or sweetened white chocolate, broken into small pieces
- ½ cup Cherry Heering or other cherry liqueur, or orange, or coffee, or chocolate,
- or almond or coffee liqueur, or brandy or rum (see note)
- Bite-size pieces of pound cake or angel food cake, or marshmallows, or bite-size chunks of peeled fresh pineapple or mango or melon of choice, or apple or pear wedges,
- or orange segments, or whole strawberries, or sweet cherries of choice as dippers
Beat cream cheese until smooth. Add half-and-half, beating constantly, pour cheese mixture into electric fondue pot, set at low temperature, or pour cheese mixture into a cheese fondue pot set over its heat source (see note). Add chocolate pieces, a few at a time, stirring constantly until sauce is thick and smooth. Stir in liqueur. Serve bite-sized pieces of cake of choice, or marshmallows, or fresh fruit of choice for dipping.
Note: May substitute ½ cup milk, or reduced-fat or skim milk, if desired.
Note: May omit liqueur or brandy; add ½ cup additional half-and-half or milk or reduced-fat or skim milk to fondue mixture.
Note: If an electric fondue pot is not available, use a regular fondue pot set over a very low flame or the top of a double boiler over hot, not simmering or boiling, water.
Note: For a small group, 16 to 20 servings, double the recipe ingredients and proceed as previously directed.
Variation: Chocolate Mint Fondue: Substitute 3 or 4 tablespoons creme de menthe for the Cherry Heering. For a mintier fondue, substitute 8 ounces mint-flavored chocolate pieces for 8 ounces semi-sweet, milk, or white chocolate or add ½ to 1 teaspoon mint flavoring.
Note: Both variation mixtures are great for big marshmallows, pound-cake cubes, doughnut or banana chunks, or large fresh Bing or Rainier or maraschino cherries or strawberries.