TRICKSTERS/TREATERS HOTDOG SPECIALTIES – 8 large or 16 small servings
- 1 (10-ounce) package refrigerated pizza crust,
- or 1 (17.3-ounce) package refrigerated large-size biscuits or reduced-fat large-size biscuits
- 8 hot dogs/franks (regular, all-beef, reduced-fat, poultry-style, etc. as desired) (see note)
- About ½ cup favorite commercial chili without beans or favorite chili recipe,
- or about ½ cup favorite commercial or recipe taco sauce or pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce
- or tomato-base salsa, divided
- About 4 teaspoons coarsely chopped peeled onion, divided (optional)
- About 4 to 8 teaspoons shredded Cheddar or Swiss or mozzarella cheese
- or shredded cheese blend or shredded reduced-fat cheese of choice, divided
- 1 egg white, at room temperature and beaten with a few drops of water,
- or 1 to 2 tablespoon(s) melted butter or margarine (optional)
Unroll pizza dough; with kitchen shears or a sharp knife, cut dough in half lengthwise; cut each dough piece into 4 equal-size rectangles/pieces, making 8 dough pieces. If using biscuits, unroll and separate biscuits into individual biscuits; press each biscuit out into a rectangle shape. Place pizza dough pieces or biscuits on a lightly greased baking sheet, at least ½-inch apart. Place a hotdog/frank on each dough piece or biscuit lengthwise. Spoon about 1 to 2 teaspoon(s) chili or taco sauce or pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce or salsa lengthwise over each hotdog/frank. Sprinkle about ½ teaspoon onion and then ½ to 1 teaspoon cheese over each hotdog/frank. Roll or close dough of each, pressing each dough piece or biscuit together to seal. Turn each hotdog/frank “packet” seam-side down on baking sheet. Bake in a preheated moderate oven (375 degrees F.) for 18 to 20 minutes or until “packets” are done and golden brown. May brush the top of each with beaten egg white about 5 minutes before end of baking time, if desired. Or, may brush top of each hot baked hotdog/frank “packet” with melted butter or margarine, if desired. Serve hot or at room temperature. For small servings, cut each “packet” in half to form two “packets”.
Note: May grill or broil hotdog's/franks or brown hot dogs/franks in a skillet on the top of the range before baking in pizza dough or biscuits, if desired.
Variation: Omit hot dogs; use grilled or broiled Italian or Polish sausages or bratwurst. May omit sauce, if desired; add desired mustard of choice.