BLACK BEAN SALSA WITH CRISP TORTILLA CHIPS – about 3 cups salsa
- 1 (15 to 16-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 6 to 7 green onions, thinly sliced (include some green tops)
- 2 firm ripe medium tomatoes, chopped, seeds removed (see note)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- ½ to 3/4 cup chopped green or sweet red or yellow pepper, or a combination (optional)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons finely snipped fresh cilantro (no stems)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin (optional)
- Salt, cayenne pepper, and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Crisp tortilla chips as desired
Rinse black beans under cold running water and drain again thoroughly; set aside. In a medium bowl, combine remaining ingredients, except tortilla chips. Stir in drained black beans. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Serve with crisp tortilla chips as dippers.
Note: If firm ripe fresh tomatoes with a good flavor are not available or out-of-season, may use 1 drained (14 to 16-ounce) can diced tomatoes, if desired.
Variation: May add 1 to 2 chopped fresh or drained canned jalapeno pepper(s) to vegetable mixture, if desired.