OLD-FASHIONED MACARONI SALAD WITH VARIATIONS
6 to 8 servings
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- Boiling water as needed
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped peeled onion or green onion (include some green part)
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice or 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive or other cooking oil
- ½ cup mayonnaise or reduced-fat or no-fat mayonnaise plus 3 tablespoons sour cream or reduced-fat or no-fat sour cream, or 2/3 cup mayonnaise or reduced-fat or no-fat mayonnaise
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Crisp leaf or bibb or Boston lettuce (optional)
- Sprigs of parsley for garnish
Cook macaroni in boiling water according to package directions; drain and rinse well in cold water and thoroughly drain again. In a medium bowl, combine macaroni, celery, onion, lemon juice or vinegar, and olive or other cooking oil, tossing lightly to mix. Cover and chill 1 hour. Add mayonnaise and sour cream. Season with salt and pepper, mixing gently but well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Spoon into a serving bowl lined with leaf or bibb or Boston lettuce, if desired; garnish with sprigs of parsley.
- Add 1 cup shredded or cubed sharp Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese or other desired cheese or cheese blends.
- Add 2 to 3 tablespoons drained chopped pimento or chopped sweet red or yellow or green pepper, or a combination.
- Add 1/3 cup chopped peeled carrot.
- Add 2 tablespoons chopped chives.
- Add ½ cup thinly sliced black/ripe or pimento-stuffed olives.
- Add ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce and/or a few drops hot pepper sauce to macaroni mixture with the dressing.
- Add seasoned salt or seafood seasoning to taste.
- Add 1 cup peeled and deveined (tails removed) cooked very small shrimp and/or cooked bay or sea scallops (cut each sea scallop in half).