Grilled Or Baked Glazed Sweet Onions
4 to 6 servings
- 4 to 6 whole small sweet onions (Vidalia or other sweet variety onion) peeled, a small area hollowed out of the top center of each
- About 2 to 3 teaspoons butter or margarine, at room temperature and divided
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon coarse-grain Dijon-style prepared mustard
- Few grains cayenne pepper or several drops hot pepper sauce
- Finely snipped fresh thyme as desired (optional)
Prepare onions for grilling. Poke ½ teaspoon butter or margarine into the hollowed out area of each onion. Arrange onions, butter-side up, on a sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil, on a grill rack; bring foil up around onions, but do not cover with foil. In a 1-cup measure, combine Worcestershire sauce, honey, mustard, cayenne pepper or hot pepper sauce; spoon mixture over onions, dividing evenly. Sprinkle onions with fresh thyme leaves, if desired. Grill over medium to slow charcoal coals (ash gray and glowing) about 10 inches above heat source or at highest level of gas grill set at low to medium setting for about 35 to 40 minutes or until onions are fork tender. Remove from heat, garnish as desired and serve immediately.
Note: Onions may also be baked. Arrange onions in a baking dish coated with non-caloric vegetable cooking spray in a broiler pan; follow previous directions, baking onions in a preheated moderate oven (350 degrees F.) for about 35 to 40 minutes or until fork tender.