4 to 6 servings
- 1 to 1½ pounds boneless beef sirloin tip or chuck or round steak or other boneless beef for stew, or boneless pork loin or pork shoulder, or boneless lamb shoulder or other boneless lamb, cut into ½ to 3/4-inch cubes/pieces, any excess fat removed
- 1 to 2 tablespoons hot cooking oil (corn, canola, or safflower oil) (see note)
- 1 cup chopped peeled onion
- 1 (1 pint 6-ounce) bottle Guinness Stout or Guinness Extra Stout (about 3 cups) (see note)
- 1 beef bouillon cube, mashed (see note)
- 1 cup water Bouquet garni (5 whole black peppercorns, 5 whole cloves, 3 to 4 sprigs parsley, 3 to 4 sprigs fresh thyme, 3 to 4 sprigs fresh marjoram, and 1 fresh or dried bay leaf tied together with kitchen twine in a piece of cheesecloth)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons light or dark brown sugar
- Flour as needed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 to 12 whole very small (baby) carrots, peeled
- 8 to 12 very small red-skinned potatoes, peeled or unpeeled as desired, each cut in half
- ½ to 1 cup coarsely chopped celery (include some leaves) (1 to 2 ribs)
- Chopped fresh parsley (no stems) as desired for garnish
In a large heavy pot, brown meat of choice thoroughly in hot oil over moderate heat; remove meat with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add chopped onion and saute until onion is just tender but not browned. Return meat to pot. Add 2 tablespoons flour, mixing thoroughly with meat and onion; continue to cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently so that meat and onions don’t stick to pot. Gradually add Guinness Stout, beef bouillon cube, water, bouquet garni, and brown sugar; season with salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat and gently simmer, cover ajar, for 2 to 3 hours, or until meat is fork tender. About 30 to 35 minutes before end of cooking time, add carrots, potatoes and celery to the stew. (For a thicker stew, may wish to add 1 to 2 tablespoons flour blended with 2 to 4 tablespoons cold water to stew during last 5 minutes of cooking; cook until stew is thickened and bubbly hot.) Just before serving, adjust seasoning to taste. Remove bouquet garni and discard just before serving. Ladle stew into soup bowls or mugs; garnish each serving with a sprinkle of chopped parsley.
Note: May omit oil, if desired; liberally coat pot with non-caloric vegetable cooking spray.
Note: Alcohol content will evaporate during cooking; Guinness Stout may be eliminated, if desired. However, flavor will not be the same. Add 3 cups beef broth or water to replace Guinness Stout. May also use 3 cups Legend Porter or other dark beer or ale in place of Guinness Stout.
Note: Omit bouillon cube if using pork or lamb.
Variation: Add 8 to 12 ounces fresh medium mushrooms, whole or each cut in half, to stew about 15 minutes before end of cooking time.